Header Ads Widget

Responsive Advertisement

BOXING: Amir Khan vs 'Canelo' Alvarez world title fight, when and where


Saul-Canelo-Alvarez-and-Amir-Khan-Head-to-Head-Press-Conference.jpgAction Images via Reuters / Andrew Couldridge
Only few boxing fans are giving Khan a chance of beating the Mexican.

The Brit is jumping two weight classes to take on Mexico's Alvarez, who has been beaten only once in 48 fights - and that by Floyd Mayweather
 
Amir Khan faces the biggest test of his career on Saturday night when he travels to America to face Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez.

The Briton has won each of his last five fights but is a huge underdog against Mexican Alvarez, whose only career defeat came against Floyd Mayweather three years ago.



The risk may be big for Khan but the rewards are even bigger, with Canelo's WBC middleweight title the reward should he succeed.


Here is all the information you need to know...

The promoter of the bout is Oscar De La Hoya

1. When is the fight?
Khan faces off with Alvarez in the early hours of Sunday morning.

2. Where is the fight?
The two men will be stepping out at the brand new T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The multi-purpose arena, on the Las Vegas Strip, cost £258million to build and opened on April 6 this year.

It has a 20,000 capacity and the battle between Khan and Alvarez will be the first bout at the venue.

3. What channel is the fight on?
It will be shown live and exclusive on Box Nation (Sky channel 437), with coverage beginning at 1.30am.

The actual bout is expected to take place just after 4am.


4. What are their professional records?


Amir Khan

Fights - 34
Wins - 31
Wins by KO - 19
Losses - 3
Draws - 0


'Canelo' Alvarez

Fights - 48
Wins - 46
Wins by KO - 32
Losses - 1
Draws - 1

Amir Khan feels he's the underdog going into the Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez fight

5. Have they met before?
No. Despite both having been around the welterweight division for a number of years, they have never come face-to-face.


6. Alvarez's last five results

Miguel Cotto
W
Unanimous decision
12
21 November 2015


James Kirkland
W
KO
3 (12), 2:11
9 May 2015


Erislandy Lara
W
Split decision
12
12 July 2014


Alfredo Angulo
W
TKO
10 (12), 0:44
8 March 2014


Floyd Mayweather Jr
L
Majority decision
12
14 September 2013
Only loss: Floyd Mayweather beat Canelo by Majority Decision in 2013



7. Khan's last five results

Chris Algieri
W
Unanimous decision
12
29 May 2015


Devon Alexander
W
Unanimous decision
12
13 December 2014


Luis Collazo
W
Unanimous decision
12
3 May 2014


Julio Diaz
W
Unanimous decision
12
27 April 2013


Carlos Molina
W
Corner retirement
10 (12), 3:00
15 December 2012

Winning run: Khan has won his last five in a row.


8. What's on the line?

Khan is stepping up two weight classes to hunt for Canelo's WBC middleweight title.
The Ring magazine also rank Alvarez as the No.1 in the middleweight division, with his 46-1-1 record.
Face off: Khan is stepping up in weight to face Alvarez

9. Quote corner

Amir Khan:

“All the hard work and training has been done. I have a great team, and I am conditioned and ready to fight and represent my country, England.

"Mentally, I have prepared by praying, being with my beautiful family, and the support from my fans. Even though Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican holiday, we are going to see a lot of British flags come Saturday night.

"This is a huge fight, as Canelo [Álvarez] is a star in Mexico and America. I know I’m here as the underdog, but I’m ready to win and take this WBC belt back to my home in England. I wouldn’t have taken this fight if I didn’t think I could take it. I have trained for everything and worked on my speed and my power.

"A win against Canelo would be one of the biggest wins of my career because he is a superstar, especially on this Cinco de Mayo weekend in front of everyone. I have trained and worked on my speed and my power."
Andrew Couldridge
Fast hands: Khan will need to be at his best


Canelo Alvarez:

"Khan is a very fast, very elusive and very tricky fighter. But I am happy with the work I have done and I am ready to go in the ring and break him down.”

"I want to thank all of my fans for the support. I am very honored to be celebrating on Cinco de Mayo, and I hope to put on a great show on Saturday night.

"I'm training hard for 12 rounds. I'm ready to go all of those rounds, and if the knockout presents itself, I'm ready to take it."


















Home of Sports

















Recent Posts Widget





















STAR WARS



AMAZON BANNER








***CREATE THE LEGAL DOCUMENTS YOU NEED IN MINUTES FOR FREE

Post a Comment

0 Comments